Sunday, February 25, 2018

Recapping and rebuilding the Rockola amplifier 31451-A

As I bought a quite fresh amp I dont need to do anything on the outside except a little cleaning.
I decided to replace all caps and resistors just to be on the safe side.
I found new components at Elfa Distrelec https://www.elfa.se/, the shop is just 3-4 km away so I can easily go there by bus to grab what I need.


The two large 20 uF can electrolyt capacitors was replaced with six 22uF 450V.
I used a small blank circuit board for soldering all the caps and resistors.


I also replaced the PEC component with fresh new components on a circuit board 

All "small" components except the red diode and four large resistors was replaced.
After I replaced all components I measured them and I almost all was ok regarding the values so I assume the replacement was not needed at all!
I at least know the components will last the next 10-20 years.


2 comments:

  1. I am repairing a Rockola Amp 52280-A with a Speaker Overload light coming on as soon as needle touches record. I believe the issue is PEC8 52357 protection circuit chip. Is there any way of testing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I dont know how to test.
    You could possibly build a new PEC and see if the level changes!

    ReplyDelete

Got the BADGE !!!!

Finely after three years searching everywhere for the grille Badge, I saw on facebook marketplace that  Michael  R in US parted out an RO 1...